Shamelessly nicked this from Jenni.
1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
I snorkelled. It was one of the best things I’d ever tried. I started aquafit classes & discovered an exercise class I smiled the whole way through. I came to absolutely adore taking the dog out for a walk.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next this year?
I don’t remember making any resolutions. Perhaps I did. Obviously, if I did, I didn’t stick to them. This year I just want to learn more stuff & be more active.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A dear friend in Australia, my partner-in-crime 2009, had a beautiful baby boy. A wee brother for her oldest boy.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I just learned that a good friend’s husband died in the past week. I am so, so sad for her. Mr Mac’s grandmother, Alice Cox, died at the age of 95 just before Christmas. She was one of the loveliest ladies I have ever known.
5. What countries did you visit?
Oh, good grief! I had a fabulous year for travelling. I went home to Scotland; to London, England three times; Trafoi, Rome & Milan, Italy; Colmar, Fontainebleau & Reims, France; Gran Canaria & Barcelona, Spain and last but not least, the Maldives for a wonderful 25th wedding anniversary celebration.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
Self-discipline. I would love to love to get out of bed of a morning.
7. What dates from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
6th Feb. It was my silver wedding anniversary. Mr Mac and I spent a night away at what has fast become a favourite spa hotel in Lugano
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Recovering from back surgery. I had most of a disc in my lower back removed in Dec 2015. I was left with very little strength in my legs & numbness in my feet from nerve damage after the operation & was unable to walk for a while. It’s taken me most of the year but I am almost back to my fitness level from before the op.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Reading. This internet business is really curtailing my reading. I want to read more. Also, keeping in touch via email (more detail than FB or Twitter updates) with my far-flung friends.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Aforementioned back surgery. A couple of horrible colds, one of which I’m currently fighting.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A retractable lead for the dog.
12. Where did most of your money go?
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Travel, baby. In particular, going on our holiday to the Maldives.
14. What song will always remind you of 2016?
Cake by the Ocean by DNCE. God help me, I loved that song.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier. I am no longer in pain from the herniated disc in my back. I love my dog more than life. My boys are grown & life is good.
b) thinner or fatter? Marginally thinner. Coz of the dog-walking innit. Not a conscious decision, I promise you.
c) richer or poorer? Richer, I think.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading, aquafit, making the most of every day.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
18. Did you fall in love in 2015?
Only with my surrounds & my life again.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Rake! An Australian dramedy about a lawyer who is a complete mess in his personal life. Mr Mac and I binged watched nearly four series over the past couple of months. Hilarious and engaging.
20. What was the best book you read?
Funnily enough, because I don’t usually read memoirs, Troublemaker by Leah Remini. A fabulously gossipy read about Leah’s experiences in Scientology. I recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in the Hollywood cult.
21. What was your favorite film of this year?
I haven’t watched a lot of films this year so I’m going with Rogue One.
22. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I don’t remember and 46.
23. What kept you sane?
My sense of humour. The dog
24. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Possibly the main characters, Cleaver Greene & Barney in Rake. Also, the usual suspect, Mr Clooney & his mate Prez Obama.
25. Who did you miss?
All the friends I don’t get to just drop in on for coffee. I wish I could see more of my friends more often. P
26. Who was the best new person you met?
The English mastiff, Sami, who I met at the dog park. 85-90kgs of pure fluffy doggo cuddle. I’d bring him home with me if I could. Oh, and Ferdinand, Odin’s Bernese mountain dog bff. Oh, and Polo, the greater Swiss mountain dog and Snoopy the French bulldog puppy and…